Thursday, January 27, 2005

Did I give up too quickly?

Awhile ago I stumbled upon a blog entitled "Pharyngula", an atheistic, pro-evolution site done by a biology professor at a university in Minnesota not far from where I live. I decided to respond to a post entitled "To people who hate humanity" (pro-lifers being people who hate humanity, in his opinion, by virtue of confusing humans with "mere" zygotes, etc.). An active debate ensued on the subject of personhood. Someone called "BrianTHP" valiantly argued a pro-life position, but didn't convince anyone. I entered a reply which I thought was modest and carefully reasoned. In it I called myself a "mere religionist, a spiritual heir of bronze age goat-herders", playing upon words another post-er had written ridiculing the foundations of Christian belief. The professor himself never did respond to my post. Another post-er did respond, but didn't engage my arguments at all, instead delivering an ad hominem dismissal of my right to join a a scientific discussion. And that was all. So many issues seemed to be at stake - the reliability of God's voice in revelation, the right to life - I thought of trying to respond further, but it was an exercise in inner frustration trying to think of a reply that might get someone's attention. I had other important priorities, so I let it slide. So, did I give up too quickly, or is it best to move on, knowing that there will be other battles? In case anyone wants to read through the thread, here's the link:

pharyngula.org/index/weblog/
comments/to_people_who_hate_humanity

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Sis, for the encouraging words! Michael <><

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home