Saturday, March 12, 2005

Schwarzenegger and the moral decorum of office

Something's bothered me for awhile, so I thought I'd mention it since I thought of it this morning.

If I were a Californian, it's perhaps likely that I would be voting for Schwarzenegger in the upcoming election, barring the arrival of a better candidate. It's my impression that he has really taken the bull by the horns to address many of California's economic woes. I'm disappointed in the stands he takes on "moral issues" such as abortion, but as I said, it's still possible that if I were a voter in his state that I'd find him the best candidate running.

Having said that, it seems to me a sign of the times that with all the issues that have been brought up in connection with him, grope-gate and what have you, nobody has ever said "boo" about the fact that he has appeared nude in films. Californians, all you have to do to see what your governor looks like in the buff is to head down to Blockbuster and rent the original "Terminator" film.

I'm not saying that such a thing should bar someone from office, though I personally think a public disavowal or repentance would be in order. It just seems to me that not so long ago, even within my own short lifetime, that this would be an issue, if not a scandal of public decorum. But to my knowledge, nobody on either the right or the left has said anything about it at all, and that just seems strange to me (call me a prude if you want). Is there no sense of embarrassment anymore?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home