Thursday, February 24, 2005

Being sharp

"As iron sharpens iron,
so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

I think another version says, "sharpens his friend."

Yesterday I was falling behind on my confirmation prep, a serious matter, because youth deserve our best, and I'm not naturally gifted at keeping order amongst the rambunctious. I was saved by a deus ex machina, as when I stepped inside the narthex of the town church I saw that the box of educational materials for the recent "Luther" film had arrived. They included a game called the "being saved game", intended to illustrate the type of theology of indulgences, etc. which Luther encountered in the 16th century. It definitely got and held the class's attention. There's also now the responsibility to explain, accurately and fairly, the ways that Catholic theology has changed since that place and time, though on the other hand I have quarrels with them today as well.

There's also the responsibility not to depend upon dei ex machina all the time, though I got by this time.

It's interesting how many people gave me compliments last night on my sermon on the Year of Jubilee AND Purim AND Hanukkah, though I hadn't done much prep there either, and I think it got a bit rambling, perhaps too much territory in one sermon. I think people are just plain blessed by God's Word, especially if it's a corner they haven't heard much about before.

In other news, this year I've decided to work on Bach's 4th Suite for Unaccompanied Cello, new territory since I worked up the first three ages ago. At my age (approaching 40) I can really feel it in my fingers if I neglect practice, and I have this sense that I need to sharpen up by exploring new territory. That's part of why I'm doing the Jewish Studies program as well - if I don't keep on learning new stuff, I have this fear of freezing up in dullness. The number one thing I want to still have when I get old (other than Jesus, of course, Who is #1 in everything) is my mind - and the number two thing I want is fingers that can still play the cello. "Use it or lose it" as they say.

The common thread here is "being sharp". I've appreciated comments from a few people on my recent posts, and I have a sense of being sharpened in my dull points. I just want to say, if there's anybody who's been reading silently, I invite you to join in the mutual sharpening process by dropping a comment or two, and maybe we'll all gain from the experience. Shalom!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home